Taste of Dole Island Pork Sliders
This is the 2012 California Cook-Off Grand Prize Winning Recipe. Delicious little appetizers perfect as a snack or before a meal.
Calories per serving
- 1 can (20 oz) DOLE® Pineapple Tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise with olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Island teriyaki sauce
- 12 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 2 garlic clove(s), finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen DOLE Mango Chunks, partially thawed
- 2 teaspoons roasted ground ginger
- as needed coarse sea salt
- as needed ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup jicama, julienned
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, divided
- 2 pounds lean ground pork
- Preheat gas grill with lid down to medium-high heat. Drain pineapple tidbits; reserve 3 tablespoons juice.
- Combine mayonnaise, 1/3 cup pineapple tidbits, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup mango chunks and 1 teaspoon ground ginger in blender or food processor. Cover; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Chop finely remaining pineapple tidbits and mangoes; set aside. Stir together 1 cup pineapple tidbits, jicama and 1/2 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine pork, reserved pineapple juice, 1/4 cup pineapple tidbits, remaining mango, roasted ground cumin, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce, 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, remaining garlic, remaining ginger and remaining cilantro until just mixed. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into patties about 3-1/2-inches wide. Cover; refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Place patties on rack, cover; cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side turning once until pork is fully cooked (145ºF). During last few minutes of cooking baste patties equally with remaining teriyaki sauce and place buns, cut side down on outer edges of rack to toast lightly.
- Assemble sliders; spread cut sides of buns with equal portions of the ginger pineapple mango mayonnaise. On each bottom, place a patty and equal portions of pineapple jicama salsa. Add bun tops and serve.