Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed cabbage rolls make for a nutritious meal.
Calories per serving
- 1 (about 5 lbs.) large head green cabbage
- 1 large DOLE Onion, chopped
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup DOLE Seedless Raisins
- Cut the stem and heart from the cabbage and place cut-side down in a large microwavable bowl. Pour 1 cup of water over the cabbage. Microwave the cabbage on high for 2 minutes. Carefully lift cabbage from the bowl and remove a few of the outermost leaves. Microwave the head again and repeat until 8 large leaves are removed. Reserve the remaining cabbage for another use.
- Meanwhile, combine the turkey, half the onion, rice and salt and pepper in another large bowl. Mix with your hands to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated. Divide the mixture into 8 balls.
- Place a cabbage leaf on a flat work surface. Trim the thick center vein of the leaf so that the leaf is easier to roll. Place a ball of the turkey mixture at the bottom of the leaf and fold the sides over. Roll up, burrito-style, and repeat with remaining leaves and turkey mixture.
- Arrange cabbage rolls, seam-side down in a 5-quart slow cooker. Combine tomatoes, remaining onion, vinegar, allspice and raisins in a bowl and pour over the rolls. Cover and cook for 6 hours on HIGH until cabbage is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes.