Spooky Chocolate Mandarin Spider
An easy and moist chocolate cake with mandarin oranges and chocolate ganache.
Calories per serving
- 2 cans (15 oz.) DOLE® Mandarin Oranges
- 1 box (2-layer) devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg(s)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray bundt pan with cooking spray. Drain each can of mandarin oranges, reserving juice from one can. Set aside 3 orange segments on a paper towel for garnish.
- Combine cake mix, reserved juice, eggs, and oil in a large bowl; beat 2 minutes.
- Fold in mandarin oranges and pour cake mix into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto wire rack; cool completely.
- Heat cream in small sauce pan until just beginning to steam (do not boil). Remove from stove and stir in chocolate. Stir until well blended. Pour chocolate mixture over cake and garnish with reserved mandarin oranges. Refrigerate half hour.
- To make spider's eyes, secure maraschino cherry halves (cut side out) with toothpicks and insert one chocolate chip into each cherry halve. Secure one mandarin orange segment over each cherry eye with toothpicks.To make spider's fangs, cut remaining mandarin orange segment crosswise into wedges. Secure two wedges with toothpicks.To make spider's legs, cut extra large pipe cleaners into eight 8-inch pieces. Wrap 1-inch of one end of each pipe cleaner with tape. Bend pipe cleaners into right angles. Insert taped ends into cake.