Spicy Mandarin Asian Salmon Salad with Chow Mein
Spicy Mandarin Oriental Salmon Salad with Chow Mein created by Dole Blogger Ambassador Ally Philips.
Calories per serving
- 1 can (15 oz.) Plus 2 (4 oz.) fruit cups DOLE® Mandarin Oranges, drained, reserving juice
- 1 pound fresh salmon filet(s), thickly cut
- 10 large DOLE Green Onions, divided
- 1 teaspoon Korean sweet and spicy sauce
- 5 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup DOLE Celery, chopped
- 5 ounces chow mein noodles
- Open and drain mandarin oranges, reserving juice to equal 1-1/4 cups. Place salmon in shallow glass dish. Prick flesh with fork, drizzle on 1/4 cup mandarin juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat gas grill to 400°F. Spray small skillet with cooking spray and add 1-1/2 cups mandarin oranges. Place skillet on medium hot grill, blaze and sauté 5 minutes. Add 6 green onions to hot grill. Turn and cook until charred. Remove and chop onions into pieces. Place oranges and onions into food processor. Cover; blend. Add mixture back to small skillet and heat on medium-high heat on grill.
- Add remaining 1 cup mandarin juice, sweet and spicy sauce, marmalade, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat. Add mayonnaise and blend. Slice 2 green onions and add to sauce.
- Coat grill with cooking spray. Place salmon (skin side up first) on grill and cook on each side 4-5 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly. Remove bottom skin. Break salmon into random chunks. Put in large mixing bowl. Add celery and toss. Drizzle thickened sauce over salmon mixture and toss.
- Place equal amounts of chow mein noodles on small plates. Top with equal amounts of salmon mixture and remaining drained mandarin oranges. Chiffonade slice 2 green onions and use as garnish atop salmon.
- Tip: Other Dole fruits (pineapples, peaches or pears) can be substituted for the Mandarin oranges and would give another flair to this salmon dish.