Roasted Turkey with Pineapple Walnut Stuffing
This is a delicious main course for your holiday celebration.
Calories per serving
- 2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE® Crushed Pineapple, drained, reserve juice
- 1 cup margarine, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped DOLE Celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup sliced DOLE Green Onions
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) corn bread stuffing mix
- 1 (12 to 16-pound) frozen turkey, thawed
- Drain pineapple; reserving 1-1/2 cups juice
- Melt 1/2 cup margarine over medium-high heat in 4-quart saucepan. Add walnuts, celery and thyme; cook, stir until celery is tender-crisp. Stir in green onions, pineapple and 1/2 cup reserved juice. (If moister stuffing is desired, add another 1/2 cup reserved juice.) Remove from heat; toss in corn bread. Set side.
- Remove innards from turkey; rinse turkey and pat dry. With turkey breast facing up; lightly stuff neck and body cavities of turkey.* (Do not over-stuff turkey; stuffing will expand while cooking. Pull skin together over cavities; use skewers to close.
- Turn and bend wings downward, so tips of wings are positioned under the body. Place long piece of string underneath tail; cross over top of tail and wrap around drumsticks. Tie string together so drumsticks are drawn closer to turkey. Place turkey, breast side up, onto wire rack in large baking pan. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup margarine. Stir in 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice. Brush turkey with 1/4 mixture. Bake 4 to 5 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°F, brushing occasionally with remaining pineapple mixture and pan drippings. If turkey starts to brown too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- *Bake any leftover stuffing in casserole dish, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Tip: to make stuffing without turkey, prepare stuffing as directed above except place stuffing in 3-quart casserole dish. Cover and bake at 325°F, for 30 minutes. Uncover, bake 10 minutes longer.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.