Rhubarb Muffins with Streusel Topping
Fruity muffin with a streusel topping.
Calories per serving
- 2 cups frozen rhubarb, defrosted, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg(s), beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Streusel Topping (recipe below)
- Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl, set aside.
- Toss drained rhubarb with remaining 1/3 cup sugar, continue to drain.
- Blend sour cream, margarine or butter, egg and vanilla. Stir sour cream mixture into dry ingredients (dough will be stiff). Toss rhubarb with remaining 1/4 cup flour. Stir into batter.
- Place baking cups in muffins tins. Divide batter equally into muffin cups. Use spoon to smooth batter. Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Streusel Topping: Mix together 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir in 5 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted until blended. Sprinkle over muffin batter.
- Bake at 375°F. 20 to 25 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool and serve.