Pineapple Glazed Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Pineapple Macadamia Nut Quinoa
Scallops wrapped in pineapple glazed bacon served with a side of pineapple macadamia nut quinoa. Perfect dish for the pineapple lover.
Calories per serving
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, divided
- 1 can (20 oz) DOLE® Pineapple Tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 8 large sea scallops
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dry roasted, salted macadamia nuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place thick-cut bacon on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or foil. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until brown and cooked through but not crisp. Lay bacon on paper towel to drain. Meanwhile, drain pineapple tidbits reserving juice. Pour pineapple juice into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and reduce by 1/2 to create the glaze.
- Wash scallops and pat dry. Cut in half length wise bacon (4 slices), wrap one bacon strip around each scallop and secure with a wooden pick. Finely chop remaining 2 slices of bacon; set aside. Place quinoa into medium sized saucepan and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet, over medium-high heat. Place scallops in pan and cook until brown on both sides about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Generously brush both sides of scallops with pineapple glaze cooking for 1 more minute per side. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and add pineapple tidbits, parsley, chopped bacon, macadamia nuts and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss gently until thoroughly combined. Spoon quinoa mixture into the serving bowls and top with bacon wrapped scallops.
- Serving Suggestion: Pineapple Bowls Cut miniature pineapple in half length wise, including top, and scoop out pineapple creating two pineapple bowls. (Scooped pineapple can be used for another recipe or snacking). Cut a small slice of bottom of each pineapple bowl so they sit flat on a plate. Spoon quinoa into pineapple shells and top with scallops.