Pineapple Carrot Walnut Cake Squares
Recipe created by Dole Blogger Ambassador Ally Philips.
Calories per serving
- 11 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature, divided
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (17.5 oz.) oatmeal cookie mix
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, very finely chopped
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE® Crushed Pineapple, drained, reserve juice
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine 8 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cream into a smooth mixture. Add egg and blend well. Blend in the oatmeal cookie mix, oats and pumpkin pie spice mixture. Blend well.
- Add the carrots, crushed pineapple, and coconut and blend well. Add walnuts and blend in.
- Coat an 8 x 10” baking dish with shortening.
- Spread the thick batter into the pan distributing evenly.
- Bake for about 28-32 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
- While the cake is baking, put the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar in a sauce pan. Add 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice and remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Bring to boil then reduce to a simmering boil cooking until the liquid is about reduce by half (about 15-18 minutes).; Turn off heat and let the mixture stay warm.
- Allow cake to cool before slicing and drizzling the glaze on top.