Calories per serving
- 15 dried corn husks for tamales
- 1-3/4 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE® Pineapple Tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 1 can (6 oz.) DOLE Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add dried corn husks to pot and remove from heat. Allow corn husks to soak in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the masa mixture. Combine masa harina, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and vegetable oil in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low to incorporate ingredients. Drain pineapple into a 2-cup measuring cup by pressing through a sieve, reserving the juice. Add additional juice from 6 oz. can. Heat juice in a small pot over low heat until boiling. Remove from heat and add to masa mixture. Add chocolate and coconut to masa mixture. Continue to mix until dough is smooth and has a consistency similar to peanut butter, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Set dough aside and allow to rest 15 minutes.
- Fill bottom of pot with steamer basket with enough water (about 2 inches) to reach bottom of basket. Open a large husk on work surface. Spread 1/4 cup dough evenly in a 4-inch square in center of husk, leaving 2- to 3-inch plain border at narrow end of husk. Place 2 teaspoons chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon pineapple tidbits in center of dough square. Fold long sides of husk and dough over filling to cover. Fold up narrow end of husk. Tie folded portion with kitchen twine to secure, leaving wide end of tamale open.
- Stand tamale in steamer basket. Repeat with more husks, dough, and filling until all filling has been used. Bring water in pot to boil.Cover pot and steam tamales until dough is firm to touch and separates easily from husk, adding more water to pot as necessary, about 90 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- TIP: To keep tamales upright in steamer, insert pieces of crumpled foil between them.