Calories per serving
- 2/3 cup margarine, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE® Pineapple Slices
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melt 1/3 cup margarine in 10-inch cast iron skillet. Remove from heat. Add brown sugar and stir until blended.
- Drain pineapple slices well, reserve 2 tablespoons syrup. Arrange pineapple slices in sugar mixture. Place cherry in center of each slice.
- Beat remaining 1/3 cup margarine with 1/2 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, lemon peel and juice, and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Blend into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and 2 tablespoons pineapple syrup.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar to make stiff meringue. Fold into batter. Pour over pineapple in skillet.
- Bake at 350° F., 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Let stand 10 minutes, then invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cold.