North African Chicken Stew
North African Chicken Stew created by Dole Blogger Ambassador Ally Phillips.
Calories per serving
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Harissa Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5-7 pounds whole chicken, quartered
- 2 cups white wine
- 1-1/2 cups DOLE® Pineapple Juice
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE Pineapple Chunks in Juice
- 1 quart chicken broth, divided
- 1 pkg. (32 oz.) prepared creamy corn soup
- 2 pkgs. (12 oz.) cream of chicken condensed soup
- 1 garlic clove(s), peeled
- 7 ounces rainbow or orange baby carrots
- 3 yellow onion, chunked
- 4 celery stalks, cut in chunks
- 3 tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 3 zucchini, cut in chunks
- 10 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Combine Harissa, black pepper, salt, cumin, ginger, red chili flakes, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne, allspice, and cloves in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Rub spice mix on chicken and under skin. Add chicken skin side down to pot. Sear chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat to low. Add wine and pineapple juice and deglaze the pot by scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add pineapple chunks, half the chicken broth, corn soup, cream of chicken soup, and garlic. Stir and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add remaining chicken broth, carrots, onion, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, and potatoes. Add additional water, if needed.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pot from heat. Pull chicken meat from bones. Discard skin and bones. Return chicken meat to pot and stir. Let stew stand for 15 minutes prior to serving.