Ginger Mandarin Orange Rice with Cashew Tofu
Nutritious, vegetarian rice dish.
Calories per serving
- 1 can (11 or 15 oz) DOLE® Mandarin Oranges
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic salt, divided
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tbsp salted cashews
- ground black pepper
- Drain mandarin oranges; reserve 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons syrup.
- Boil water in medium saucepan; stir in rice and 1 teaspoon garlic salt. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in reserved 1/4 cup syrup, ginger, agave syrup, 3 mandarin oranges and dash ground pepper. Cover; continue heating until liquid is absorbed. Remove lid and saute on high 1 minute. Keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to small skillet. Heat to medium-high. Add tofu, remaining garlic, 3 tablespoons syrup and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt. Cover; let heat and steam for a few minutes. Continue to saute until tofu looks fluffy but not too browned.
- Add cashews and continue to cook, until tofu is browned and fluffy, liquid is absorbed and cashews slightly browned. (Note: Make sure all liquid is absorbed.)
- Spoon tofu over rice and garnish with remaining mandarin oranges. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.