Chickpea Burgers with Pineapple Sauce
Delicious vegetarian burger!
Calories per serving
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE® Crushed Pineapple
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh DOLE Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup DOLE Red Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons crunchy or creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 multigrain sandwich buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Combine the pineapple, cornstarch and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until thick. Transfer mixture to a food processor or use an immersion blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate pineapple sauce leftovers and use a topping for pancakes, desserts or grilled poultry or fish dishes.
- Combine ½ cup of the chickpeas and the rice in a large bowl. Mash together until chunky. Set aside.
- Combine remaining chickpeas, cilantro, onion, peanut butter, flour, cumin and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times until mixture is smooth with a few chunky pieces still visible. Transfer mixture to bowl and stir with a fork, mashing lightly if necessary, until thoroughly combined. Shape mixture into 4 burgers.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers 5-7 minutes, turning halfway through. Serve on sandwich buns with tomato slices, lettuce and 1 tablespoon pineapple sauce on top of each burger.