A festive empanada filled with pineapple and chorizo.
Calories per serving
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 oz.) DOLE® Crushed Pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup prepared roasted red bell pepper, drained and chopped
- 6 5" diameter frozen empanada shells
- 1 egg(s)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives, well drained
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chorizo and red onion to skillet. Saute until pork is cooked, about 8 minutes. Add pineapple and red bell pepper to skillet and saute an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Form skull empanada by folding bottom ½” of dough up. Then fold in each side, making a flat-bottomed cone. Seal with by pressing with fingertips. Fill the cone with two rounded tablespoons of filling. Fold over top of dough and seal. Seal sides together. Lay empanada seam side down on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Beat egg with water. Brush egg wash on empanadas.
- Fashion eyes, nose, and teeth with black olives and decorate empanada. Cut olive slices into small wedge-shaped pieces for the teeth. Use whole slices for eyes. Cut sliced olive into quarters, and use two pieces for the nose.
- Brush again with egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.