Latin Picadillo recipe created by Dole Blogger Ambassador Ally Phillips.
Calories per serving
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 serrano chile, seeded, diced
- Combine cumin, oregano, tarragon, coriander, salt and peppercorns in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add oil to large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers, onions, garlic. Sauté about 3-5 minutes. Add turkey. Break up meat with a wooden spoon and brown. Add the spice mixture and blend into the meat.
- Combine chicken broth and tomato paste in a large measuring cup. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into skillet and stir. Reduce heat to low.
- Add bay leaves, capers, green olives, fruit, dates and golden raisins to skillet. Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, and sour cream, if desired.
- TIP: Picadillo may be served over rice, pasta, green salad, or with bread.