Date and Nut Scones
Scones for tea time.
Calories per serving
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 egg(s)
- 1/3 cup lowfat milk
- 1-1/2 cups DOLE® Pitted Dates, snipped
- 1/3 cup natural sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, in bowl. With pastry blender or two knives, cut margarine into flour mixture until crumbly. Make a well in center. Separate one egg; reserve egg white. Lightly beat egg yolk, whole egg and milk, in small bowl until blended; pour into well.
- Stir flour mixture until dough cleans sides of bowl. Stir in dates and almonds.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead about 10 times. Pat dough into 6-1/2-inch circle. Cut circle into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges, 1-inch apart on baking sheet sprayed with vegetable cooking spray. Lightly beat reserved egg white; brush on dough.
- Bake at 400 F, 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Note: Recipe may be doubled.