Caribbean Grilled Double Cheese Sandwich
Recipe created by Ally Phillips, Dole blogger ambassador.
Calories per serving
- 2 pieces DOLE® Pineapple Slices, drained and patted dry
- large pinch sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 slices sourdough bread, artisan style preferred, sliced about ½ to ¾” thick
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh spinach and arugula greens
- 3 tablespoons whipped cream cheese, optional
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on the pineapple slices
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Let it get hot. Put one tablespoon of butter in the skillet and the pineapples. Grill on each side about 90 seconds. Remove to a plate. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Start building the sandwich to grill.
- On the unbuttered side of one slice, put the pepper jack cheese slices. Add the seared pineapple slices. Add the cheddar cheese slices. Top with the greens.
- Put the whipped cream cheese on the unbuttered side of the top slice of bread. Place the whipped cream side on top of the greens.
- Cover the sandwich with a lid for about 60-75 seconds or until golden brown on the bottom side.
- Carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula. Press down gently with a somewhat flexible egg flipper. Cover with the lid for about 60-90 seconds or until the bottom bread is crispy golden brown.
- Add more arugula greens to the sandwich by stuffing in/around the sandwich.
- Remove to a cutting board. Slice at an angle. Serve immediately.