Calories per serving
- 1 can (20 oz.) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
- 1 box (2-layer) white cake mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 box (4 servings) pineapple flavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-3/4 cup sugar divided
- 3/4 plus pinch teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1 can (6 oz) DOLE Pineapple Juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two (9-inch) round baking pans with cooking spray and line with parchment or wax paper.
- Press crushed pineapple through a sieve to drain well, reserving the juice. Juice should measure about 1-1/3 cups. Set aside. Add pineapple to food processor and process until pureed. Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add egg whites, oil, 1 cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, reserved juice, and half of the reserved pineapple puree. Mix with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter between prepared baking pans. Bake for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, heat pineapple juice to boil and add gelatin. Stir until completely dissolved. Add cold water and stir to combine. Allow to cool to room temperature. Fold in remaining 1/2 cup yogurt and whipped topping until well blended. Cover and chill until set, about 1 hour.
- Combine remaining 5 tablespoons flour, 1 cup sugar, and milk in a small sauce pan. Whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a simmer. Continue to cook and whisk for 3 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, pinch of salt, and butter one cube at a time, ensuring frosting is smooth. Fold in remaining pineapple puree.
- Spread filling over bottom layer of cake. Top with second layer. Spread frosting over cake. Chill cake for at least an hour before serving.